Consolidated compendium of PV interconnection standards and guidelines across the globe in a smart grid
The environmental concerns and shortage in conventional energy has paved the way for utilizing renewable energy resources like photovoltaic energy (PV). As the grid is becoming smarter, the complexity associated with the conventional power system network has gone up with increased renewable energy penetration. Safety factor and reliable interconnection of various photovoltaic generators has become a major challenge in the smart grid environment. The ramifications associated with the PV interconnection needs an adherence to reliable operation of the grid without any violations. Standards or guidelines for grid-connected photovoltaic generation systems play a vital role in the PV interconnection. Several organizations and technical committees are constantly involved in research to update and revise such standards on a frequent basis throughout the world. The focus of this paper is to realize a consolidated compilation of PV interconnection standards across the globe. This survey will serve as a reference for improving standards for grid-connected PV systems in a smart grid environment.
2. Available: http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/state_energy_program/Green Energy DC program (District of Columbia, Washington DC, USA), [Online].Available: http://www.green.dc.gov.
3. The California Solar Initiative program (California, USA), [Online].Available: http://www.gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov/csi/index.html.
4. IEEE Standards Association, "IEEE 1547 Standard for Interconnecting Distributed Resources with Electric Power Systems," 10 2 2014. [Online].Available:grouper.ieee.org/groups/scc21/1547/1547_index.html. [Accessed 4 2014].
6. British Standards Institution, "BS EN 50438:2013 - Requirements for micro-generating plants to be connected in parallel with public low-voltage distribution networks," British Standards Institution, London, 2013.
7. IEEE Standards Association, "IEEE 1547 Standard for Interconnecting Distributed Resources with Electric Power Systems," IEEE Standards Association, Piscataway, 2003.
8. VDE Association for Electrical, Electronic and Information Technologies, "VDE-AR-N 4105:2011- 08 Power generation systems connected to the low-voltage distribution network," VDE Association for Electrical, Electronic and Information Technologies, Frankfurt, 2011.
9. BDEW German Association of Energy and Water Industries, "BDEW Generating Plants Connected to the Medium-Voltage Network," BDEW German Association of Energy and Water Industries, Berlin, 2008.
10. International Electrotechnical Commission, "IEC 61727 ed2.0 Photovoltaic (PV) systems - Characteristics of the utility interface," International Electrotechnical Commission, Geneva, 2004.
11. Workshop on Interconnection of Distributed Generation (Florida Public Service Commission) “Survey of interconnection rules,” August 2007.
12. L. Schwartfeger, D. Santos-Martin, “Review of distributed generation interconnection standards”, Auckland EEA Conference & Exhibition 2014, 18 – 20 June.
13. B. I. Craciun,.; T. Kerekes, D.Sera, R.Teodorescu, "Overview of recent Grid Codes for PV power integration," Optimization of Electrical and Electronic Equipment (OPTIM), 2012 13th International Conference on , vol., no., pp.959,965, 24-26 May 2012.
14. K. Dang, Z. Huifeng, Y. Jiqing Y, T. Dang, "Study on interconnection standards of photovoltaic power generation," Electrical and Control Engineering (ICECE), 2011 International Conference on , vol., no., pp.6123,6126, 16-18 Sept. 2011.
15. S. Darie, "Guidelines for large photovoltaic system integration," Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition (T&D), 2012 IEEE PES , vol., no., pp.1,6, 7-10 May 2012.
16. Z. Hua, T. Yang, "Comparison of interconnection standards of renewable energy generation," IPEC, 2012 Conference on Power & Energy , vol., no., pp.145,149, 12-14 Dec. 2012.
23. Grid integration of distributed solar photovoltaics (PV) in India- A review of technical aspects, best practices and the way forward. [Online].Avaiable:http://www.ncpre.iitb.ac.in/uploads/PEG_grid_integration_dist%20PV_2014.pdf.
26. S. S. Rangarajan, E. R. Collins, J. C. Fox and D. P. Kothari, "A survey on global PV interconnection standards," 2017 IEEE Power and Energy Conference at Illinois (PECI), Champaign, IL, 2017.
27. Y. K. Wu, J. H. Lin and H. J. Lin, "Standards and Guidelines for Grid-Connected Photovoltaic Generation Systems: A Review and Comparison," in IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 3205-3216, July-Aug. 2017.
29. H. Zeineldin, E.F. El-Saadany, M. M. A. Salama., "Intentional islanding of distributed generation," Power Engineering Society General Meeting, 2005. IEEE, vol., no., pp.1496, 1502 Vol. 2, 12-16 June 2005.
30. S. S. Rangarajan, Sreejith S. and S. Nigam, "Effect of distributed generation on line losses and Network Resonances," 2014 International Conference on Advances in Electrical Engineering (ICAEE), Vellore, 2014.
31. S. S. Rangarajan, E. R. Collins and J. C. Fox, "Interactive impacts of elements of distribution systems and PV on network harmonic resonance," 2017 IEEE 6th International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications (ICRERA), San Diego, CA, 2017.
32. S. S. Rangarajan, E. R. Collins and J. C. Fox, "Comparative impact assessment of filter elements associated with PWM and hysteresis controlled PV on network harmonic resonance in distribution systems," 2017 IEEE 6th International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications (ICRERA), San Diego, CA, 2017.
33. S. S. Rangarajan, E. R. Collins and J. C. Fox, "Harmonic resonance repercussions of PV and associated distributed generators on distribution systems," 2017 North American Power Symposium (NAPS), Morgantown, WV, 2017.
34. S. S. Rangarajan, E. R. Collins and J. C. Fox, "Detuning of harmonic resonant modes in accordance with IEEE 519 standard in an exemplary north american distribution system with PV and wind," 2017 IEEE 6th International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications (ICRERA), San Diego, CA, 2017.
35. S. S. Rangarajan, S. Sreejith, "Novel 24 hour usage of a PV Solar Farm for reducing Line Loss," Energy Efficient Technologies for Sustainability (ICEETS), 2013 International Conference on , vol., no., pp.381,386, 10-12 April 2013.
36. D.W Gao, E. Muljadi, T. Tian, and M.Miller, “Comparative Analysis and Considerations for PV Interconnection Standards in the United States and China, “NREL report, Revised February 2017
37. [Online] Available: https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy17osti/64226.pdf.
38. Energinet/DK, Technical regulation 3.2.2 for PV power plants with a power output above 11 kW, 2015.