Performance Analysis of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor Drive using Particle Swarm Optimization Technique
Permanent magnet synchronous motor (PMSM), a nonlinear speed controller design based on Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) technique is presented in this paper. For tuning the PID controller, the speed control for PMSM was analyzed using PSO algorithm to optimize the parameters in terms of proportional gain (Kp), integral gain (Ki), and derivative gain (Kd). Moreover, the overall system is evaluated under various operating conditions such as starting, braking, load application and load removal. Besides this, comparison between speed control of PMSM using Ziegler-Nichols (Z-N) method and speed control of PMSM with PSO technique has been carried out. These analyses are estimated in terms of dynamic and static response. The transient response are examined in terms of settling time (ts), rise time (tr), peak time (tp), and peak overshoot (Mp). Overall, PID speed controller with PSO technique shows that the proposed method has improved the performance under the various operating conditions.
1. R. Krishnan, "Permanent Magnet Synchronous and Brushless DC Motor Drives", U.S.A.,CRC Press Taylor & Francis Group, 2010.
2. B. K. Bose, "Modern Power Electronic and Drives", The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Upper Saddle River, NJ07458, 2001.
3. PAN Tian-hong, LI Shao-yuan, "Adaptive PID control for nonlinear systems based on lazy learning control Theory and Applications", 2009.
4. I J Nagrath and M Gopal, "Control System Engineering," New Age International Publishers, Edition 2005.
5. Katsuhiko Ogata, "Modern Control Engineering," Prentice Hall of India, New Delhi, 4th Ed., June 2002.
6. J Astrom and T Hagglund, "PID Controllers- Theory, Design and Tuning," Instrument Society of America, 2nd edition, 1995.
7. J. Kennedy, R. Eberhart, "Particle swarm optimization," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Neural Networks, vol. 4, pp. 1942-1948, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICNN.1995.488968
8. Haibing Hu, Qingbo Hu, Zhengyu Lu, Dehong Xu, "Optimal PID controller design in PMSM servo system via particle swarm optimization", 31st Annual Conference of IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, IECON, pp. 79-83, 2005.
9. Said Wahsh and Ayman Elwer, "Improved Performance of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor by Using Particle Swarm Optimization Techniques", Proceedings of the 2007 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics, pp 2095-2100, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/ROBIO.2007.4522492
10. Mehmet Bask n and Bulent Caglar, "A Modified Design of PID Controller for Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor Drives Using Particle Swarm Optimization", 16th IEEE International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference and Exposition, pp 388-393, 2014.
11. Omar Sandre-Hernandez, Member, IEEE, Roberto Morales-Caporal, Senior Member, IEEE, Jose Rangel-Magdaleno, Member, IEEE, Hayde Peregrina-Barreto, Member, IEEE, and Julio Noel Hernandez-Perez, "Parameter Identification of PMSMs Using Experimental Measurements and a PSO Algorithm", IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, pp 1-9, 2015.
12. P. Pillay, R. Krishnan, "Modelling of Permanent Magnet Motor Drives", IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol.35, November 1988, pp. 537-541. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.9176
13. Bhim Singh., B.P.Singh, Sanjeet Dwivedi., "DSP Based Implementation of Hybrid Speed Controller for Vector Controlled Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor Drive", IEEE ISIE., July 9-12, 2006.
14. LIU Ting-Ting., TAN Yu., WU Gang., WANG Shu-mao., "Simulation Model of PMSM Vector Control System Based on Matlab/Simulink", Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Measuring Technology and Mechatronics Automation, 2009, pp. 343-346.
15. Anathamoorthy N. P, Baskaran K, "Simulation of PMSM based on current hysteresis PWM and Fed PI controller", Procceedings of International Conference on Computer Communication and Informatics (ICCCI)-Jan-10-12, 2012, pp. 804 808.
16. B. Kuo, "Automatic control systems", Englewood cliffs: prentice hall, 1995.
17. Dorf, C. Richard and H. Robert Bishop, "Modern control systems", 9th ed., Prentice Hall Inc., New Jersey-07458, USA, Chapters 1, 5, pp. 1-23, pp. 173-206, 2001.
18. Y.H. Shi and R. C. Eberhart, "A Modified Particle Swarm Optimizer", Proceeding of IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation (ICEC'98), Anchorage, pp.69-73, May 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICEC.1998.699146
19. M. B. Ghalia, "Particle Swarm Optimization with an Improved Exploration-Exploitation Balance," IEEE, vol. 978-1-4244-2167-1/08/$25.00 ©2008 IEEE, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/MWSCAS.2008.4616910